Choose your feel with 2 or 3 premium layers of 100% Certified Natural Latex for the healthiest, comfiest, and most supportive sleep possible.
Leaves our warehouse in 1-4 days.
Free delivery to most areas:
All our products are dispatched from our Showroom/Factory in Wangara, Perth WA with free delivery to all Australian metro areas.
- Latex Mattress: Orders take 1-4 days to prepare for dispatch.
- Delivery ETA: 5-7 days to arrive to non-Perth orders after dispatch.
Perth Delivery: For deliveries within 1 hour of Perth, we use a local delivery driver, who usually heads out on Saturday’s from 10.00am until early afternoon. An alternate day can be arranged.
Perth Pickup: You can opt to collect your order from our warehouse in Wangara for $100 off per base and mattress. Collection is simple and easy, we’ll notify you when it is ready and you can pick up during the following hours to ensure a staff member is available:
- Monday to Saturday: 10am to 4pm
Note: Vacuum-packing is available on request.
- 2 Layer Mattress: Capped at $200
- 3 Layer Mattress: Capped at $250
- Any delivery fees to non-metro areas are non-refundable.
Bed Base Requirements – Due to having no firm polyurethane foam or spring base, a 100% latex mattress must have a firm, flat, aerated base supporting it (like ours). We require at least 1 grounded central support beam for Queens (2 for Kings), while any slats must be 5-9cm wide and be spaced 3-5cm apart (get in touch if you have something else).
If you are not happy with the firmness of your mattress inside 100 nights, we offer a one-time free latex layer exchange to a different firmness! Simply get in touch, we’ll send out a new layer for you to try and help you return the old.
Guarantees & Warranties
- 100-Night Comfort Guarantee – If you are not happy with the firmness of your mattress inside 100 nights, we offer a one-time free latex layer exchange to a different firmness! Simply get in touch, we’ll send out a new layer for you to try and help you return the old.
- 20-Year Warranty – If there is more than a 20mm indentation or ‘sag’ at anytime inside 20 years, or there is any other manufacturing defect that is not a result of improper use, we’ll replace or repair your mattress or a layer within it free of charge! Covers normal domestic use only
- Bed Base Requirements – Due to having no firm polyurethane foam or spring base, a 100% latex mattress must have a firm, flat, aerated base supporting it (like ours). We require at least 1 grounded central support beam for Queens (2 for Kings), while any slats must be 5-9cm wide and be spaced 3-5cm apart (get in touch if you have something else).
Our Honest Materials
- Certified Natural Latex from sustainable forests in Vietnam (supplier link: https://www.liena.vn/)
- GOTS-certified organic cotton cover with 400GSM of organic wadding made in India
- Weight capacity: 500kg (250kg per sleeper)
Weight & Dimensions
- Queen Medium: 17.5kg (153 x 204 x 7.5cm)
- Queen Firm: 20kg (153 x 204 x 7.5cm)
- King Medium: 21kg (183 x 204 x 7.5cm)
- King Firm: 23.5kg (183 x 204 x 7.5cm)
Assembly & Care
- Click here to view our Latex Mattress Assembly Instructions & Care
- For maximum protection, we highly recommend a mattress cover
- Always use the mattress with its included cover. To clean, unzip and hand wash with cold water and mild detergent. Air dry. Can be spot cleaned.
The Simple, Supportive, 100% Natural Latex Mattress
Natural latex is simply the world’s #1 eco-conscious, high-performance mattress material – far superior to springs or other foams.
With its unique bounce, our natural latex gives you consistent and comfortable support across your whole body, to help alleviate any aches and pains for a restful sleep.
Compared to synthetic latex and other foams which lose their bounce in just a few months or years, our natural latex scores 100/100 for durability, meaning no sags for at least 20 years (guaranteed).
Latex is naturally derived from the milky sap of the rubber tree. This material is naturally resistant to moisture, mould and dust-mites to give a much healthier and allergy-free sleep, while also lowering its environmental footprint.
Contrary to what some believe, the open-cell structure of each layer promotes great air-ventilation, ensuring our latex mattress does not retain heat from your body while you sleep.
Choosing Your Latex Mattress
Go for a 2 layer (16cm) if you generally sleep without pain, mainly sleep on your back/front, or prefer a firm mattress.
Go for a 3 layer (24cm) if you sometimes sleep with pain, sleep on your side, or prefer a ‘luxury’ mattress at a more standard height.
Our mattresses contain layers of latex in 2 different firmness levels (‘Medium’ and ‘Firm’), which can be rearranged at home to refine your comfort later. Even our 2 layer mattress has more actual latex in it than almost any traditional “latex” mattress you’ll find in a store. Further, our new Mixed and Split mattresses allow you to choose and adjust the firmness between you and your sleeping partner! Plus, within 100 nights, you can exchange a layer with us or change your height for no charge at all (or even send the whole thing back for a full refund, minus return postage costs). Read more about choosing your firmness below.
Side or back
Back or front
60 - 100kg
It is important to understand Natural Latex is very different to other materials. Its unique bounce means you can go for a slightly softer, more contouring firmness but still feel fully supported, while its unique durability means you can sleep on it for 20+ years, with full confidence it won’t feel firmer or be less-supportive over time. On top of this, most of our mattresses are able to be made firmer at home (but not softer), which is why we suggest erring on the side of too soft, rather than too firm. Often, our customers thank us for it.
Your personal ‘feel’ preference is usually the most important factor. You might know you’ll like a mattress that feels plush and soft with a little more give to it – or you’ll like sleeping on something firmer. Each layer density will determine the overall feel, so having a Firm layer closer to the top will give you a more lifted, supportive feel – whereas each Medium layer would give a slightly more plush, sinking-in feel.
Side sleepers will need their hips and shoulders to sink into the mattress to contour to their body, whereas back or front sleepers need firmer support to keep their hips from sinking in too much.
This isn’t a strict point, but our general recommendation is if you’re under 60kg you’ll most likely prefer a softer mattress, whereas if you’re over 80kg we would recommend something firmer.
Although a mattress is not a magic solution, if you do have some pain, the right firmness is important. A soft mattress can take pressure off your shoulders, a firm mattress can increase support on your back, whereas hip pain could either mean your hips are sinking in too far or not enough – and therefore you’ll likely need a mattress somewhere in the middle.
How It Works
Certified, Eco-Friendly Materials
Frequently Asked Questions
We don’t hide behind technical lingo – we simply use the highest-quality, most-trusted natural materials available on the worldwide market today. Beyond our many eco-accreditations, importantly, all our main materials are 100% sustainably-sourced – meaning there are no lasting effects on the environment.
See below for our most commonly asked questions about our mattress!
A latex mattress does not have any springs or coils in it. Unlike an innerspring mattress, a natural latex mattress is made out of one type of material: latex. This material is a natural product that comes from the sap of the rubber tree. This milky sap is eco-consciously processed into the mattress layers.
- It returns to its original shape almost immediately – compared to synthetic latex and standard foams, the unique material of latex means that once pressure is removed it remains its shape, giving you full body-contoured support the moment you move, without creating pain-points or letting you sink into your mattress. This means that latex can help alleviate aches and pains with the correct alignment support.
- Latex retains its shape for 20 years, where other foams will start to significantly lose softness and support after just a few months or years.
- Natural Latex is inherently resistant to moisture, mould, mildew, and dust mites and can mean a much healthier and allergy-free sleep. Further, contrary to what some believe, the particularly open-cell structure allowed by the quality of natural latex promotes great air-ventilation – the best defence against ‘sleeping-hot’ and ensuring your mattress does not retain heat from your body
Natural Latex Mattress
Our latex is sourced from Vietnam and is certified by eco-INSTITUT (Germany) as 100% natural botanical latex with no added petroleum-based or synthetic latex, also meeting strict standards for pollutants and harmful emissions. This ensures there are no additives in our latex that could damage the quality, consistency or healthiness of your mattress. Our latex has also passed stringent durability tests, allowing us to offer a 20 year warranty. Further, our latex uses the ‘Dunlop’ method of production due to its lower environmental footprint and durability advantages over the ‘Talalay’ method.
- Quality tested by eco-INSTITUT® (Germany) for containing 100% natural latex rubber free of harmful pollutants and emissions
- Supplier (Vietnam): Lien’A
- Durability tested (scoring 100/100) for little resilience or firmness-loss after 30,000 load cycles of 140kg (TUV EN 1957-2012 tested in Netherlands)
- Additionally, our supplier uses bio-fuel for electricity and has an all-round clean production process (as certified by ISO 14001:2015).
- See below for our Density (D) and Indentation Load Deflection (ILD) ratings for each layer:
- Medium Dunlop Latex – D75 – ILD 18-25
- Firm Dunlop Latex – D85 – ILD 26-3
Organic Cotton Cover
Our Organic Cotton Cover is sourced from Mumbai, India. With 400GSM of wadding, plus a breathable canvas base, it provides ultimate comfort while prolonging the life of your mattress. Our covers are included with every Latex Mattress purchase. Certified by GOTS (Global Organic Textile Standard), this certification ensures all processes and materials are without the use of chemical fertilizers, pesticides, or other artificial chemicals – plus also meeting fair work conditions, recycling and more. We source them from suppliers who use certified manufacturing processes to reduce their carbon footprint, just like us. This certificate can be viewed further above this page.
In short, yes!
Our pure Latex mattress layers are designed to be supportive, durable and comfortable – making them slightly more heavy-duty than other mattresses. But, we offer our mattresses in a simple 2 or 3 layer system, so you can add your layers one by one (making this much easier to manage, than one full spring mattress!).
When you receive your Latex Mattress layers, they arrive in a vacuum-sealed package which is easily transportable. Lay out your Organic Cotton Mattress Cover first, then you can open, and lay out each layer to suit your desired firmness – the final step is to zip them up!
- Click here to view our Latex Mattress Assembly Instructions + Care
- For 2-layer mattresses, unless you know you want a firmer mattress, the majority of customers would suit a Medium (2 layers of Medium). Due to the quality of our natural latex, this provides a great balance of a soft feel but generous support (with 15cm of latex!). However, if you know you like firm, go with a Medium-Firm – and you then also have the option to flip the layers it if it still not firm enough. In particular, back or front-sleepers and heavier people may suit a firmer mattress.
* Note: You can request Firm/Firm, but we strongly recommend trying in-store first.
- For 3-layer mattresses, the options can go softer, while still providing full support. This allows for even greater ‘give’ in the mattress for a more-luxurious feel with more support (22.5cm of pure latex) than it’s 2-layer equivalent. This is especially true in softer mattresses, where the extra layer allows for a more gradual and supportive change from firm at the bottom to the softer comfort layers at the top.
* Note: We don’t recommend 3 layers of Firm.
- However… Comparing standard foam or spring mattresses to the feel of latex is difficult. Your old mattress may have developed a ‘sinking-in’ feeling compared to the quality and bounce of latex – so some may find it feels a little too firm to begin with. We recommend allowing for the settling in period of around 10 days to get used to. This is why we also offer a 100-Night Comfort Guarantee just in case you need to adjust your firmness!
- If you like firmer mattresses, generally sleep without pain, or on a tighter budget; go for a 2-layer.
- If you like softer mattresses, have some back or hip pain, or prefer a plusher, ‘luxury-feel’; go for a 3-layer
About our 100-Night Comfort Guarantee
The layers are not glued together meaning you can unzip the cover and rearrange the layers. However, keep in mind you can only make your mattress firmer, but not softer – we recommend choosing a slightly softer mattress if you’re not sure. Give each configuration a go for at least 10 nights, then within 100 Nights you can swap any Medium or Firm layer with us, or return if it’s not perfect.
All natural/organic latex comes with an odour of some strength, but ours is very low and dissipates over time – generally a week or 2 and it would almost be gone. Most people don’t notice it at all. Our odour is graded at 2.5 out of 6, which is between these 2 grades:
- 2 perceptible, not bothering
- 3 clearly perceptible, not bothering
Other mattress materials, such as cotton and foam blends, can sometimes trap heat because it lacks proper air ventilation so it can feel hotter for some people sleeping at night.
Because Latex is quite durable, some synthetic latex mattresses will trap heat (because a lot are made with some composite layers). The good news is, with our pure latex, we have designed them with air ventilation holes in every layer – this allows for body temperature regulating, and helps to prevent heat being trapped within the mattress while you sleep.
The open-cell structure allows Natural Latex to dissipate heat build-up during the night, away from the sleeping surface.
When it comes to mattresses, density = durability (and quality). While most “mattresses in a box” use foam with a density of between 15-20kg/m3 (which is lucky to last a couple of years) – our latex ranges from 75 to 85kg/m3!
Below is each individual layer:
- Queen Medium: 17.5-19kg (153 x 204cm)
- Queen Firm: 20-21.5kg (153 x 204cm)
- King Medium: 21-22.5kg (183 x 204cm)
- King Firm: 23.5-25kg (183 x 204cm)
This weight includes the 1.5kg Organic Cotton Mattress Cover, included with all mattress orders.
- 2-Layer System = 15cm of 100% Latex
- 3-Layer System = 22.5cm of 100% Latex
At the moment, yes. We can only source our Natural Latex Mattresses in these two sizes at this current time, due to supplier unavailability.
We’re working hard to try and introduce a range of new sizes. It’s still a little while away, but if you’d like to be kept in the loop and whether we proceed, please email us at [email protected] and you’ll be on our list to be notified first!
As our Latex Mattresses have individual internal layers, they aren’t glued together – this means you can remove, swap, or relocate each layer at any time.
Click here to watch a short video on how we wrap an individual layer for transport. Apply the same method for all layers (2 or 3).
You Will Need:
- Cling Wrap, String, or Cable tie – Mainly anything that will hold the layer together. We prefer Cling Wrap as it sticks to itself.
- 240L Plastic Bag: Not totally necessary, this is just to keep the latex protected during transport, or you can use to vacuum-pack if you need to compress the layer.
1x rolled layer is approximately 80cm x 80cm, not vacuum-packed. If your rear seats go down in your car, you could fit 5 or 6 layers.
Our Latex Mattresses come included with our Organic Cotton Cover, which top layer unzips on all four sides for complete removal. This cover aids in the best protection for the latex layers beneath. This top layer (or the entire cover) can be cold-washed only with mild detergent. Do not tumble dry. The cover may shrink after first wash, but will stretch back out.
In the event your latex layer needs to be cleaned, spot clean with a small amount of mild detergent and warm water. Wipe away the excess with a towel. It is important to ensure that the latex layer is completely dry before placing your sheets on top or sleeping on it. Using a hand-held blow dryer for fast dry time. Elevate the area with a platform beneath it to ensure air ventilation can move through if necessary.
Backed by over 30 years of experience
Quokka Beds has been manufacturing bedroom furniture in Perth, Australia for over 30 years with extremely positive feedback. Formerly called Brett’s Beds + Futons, many of Brett’s customers have come back 10 and 20 years later just to say their mattress feels as good as new, and their base is still looking great. Quokka Beds brings true, hands-on experience right to your doorstep. Read more below…
Overall rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars from 186 independent reviews:
A snap to assemble, looks great I love my new bed base. I searched far and wide for a simple and sustainable bed base. This one looked perfect on line and looks perfect in my very small bedroom. I asked my neighbour to help me assemble it, but I'd already done it by the time she arrived ten minutes later.Too easy!
Love this bed base! Excellent quality and craftsmanship! Quick and simple to order, prompt delivery, extremely easy to assemble and very affordable.
We love our new bed base!
Could not recommend more highly!
We will definitely be buying another Quokka bed base for our spare room.
If you’re wanting to keep your product for 10, 20 or 30 years, trust the business that’s been around for longer!