Concerned about your mattress height?
- Our default headboard is designed for a mattress 22~25cm high (with a 22cm gap). Please leave a note at checkout if you would like this gap to be 15 or 30cm instead, no extra cost.
Materials & Construction
- 100% manufactured in Perth, Australia.
- Timber from certified sustainable forests across AU and NZ.
- All bases use lightweight and strong Pine slats from NZ
- Connecting brackets from Germany.
- Weight capacity: 600kg
- Sideview diagrams do not show the centre beam.
- Free to most major metro areas: click here to check your postcode.
- Covered for life against any break or squeak.
- Any issues, we will send a replacement base or part for free.
- Please do not submerge in water or alter the base in any way.
- There is nothing you need to do: we use a water-resistant, natural vegetable oil finish (rated as food safe). Can be cleaned with a damp cloth and plant based soap.
Timber Bed Base In A Box Australia
Don’t settle for less. We’ve been manufacturing beds in Perth for over 30 years, and you can hear from some of our extremely happy customers below. This is as sturdy and supportive as timber bases come.
To truly become a compact “bed in a box”, our headboard now detaches from the legs – without sacrificing strength, sturdiness or looks (the clips are not visible once the bed is set up against a wall). The main benefit is if you change your mattress height in the future – we can simply send you new headboard support beams set at a different height ($50), rather than send you a whole new headboard with attached back piece ($340 or more). Also, if you happen to damage your headboard or want a new one – you can do so much more affordably!
Note: this video shows an old design – we now use thicker front & back pieces (30mm rather than 20mm), only 1 middle leg (to reduce any chance of instability/rocking without compromising strength) and a clip-on headboard!
Choosing the perfect wooden bed frame
We use real Australian hardwood timber in all our beds, complete with lightweight and strong Pine slats. Naturally termite and water-resistant, our bases are conservatively rated at 600kg and backed up with a lifetime guarantee against any break or even squeak. All timbers come from certified plantations that pass strict sustainability and eco-friendly regulations (read more below).
High-quality, sustainable & eco-friendly
We don’t hide behind technical lingo – we simply use the highest-quality, most-trusted natural materials available on the worldwide market today. Beyond our many eco-accreditations, importantly, all our main materials are 100% sustainably-sourced – meaning there are no lasting effects on the environment.
Read more below…
When we choose sustainably and responsibly harvested timber over other materials, we reduce our dependence on fossil fuels and their consequent carbon emissions. Aluminium, steel, concrete and plastic are not produced from renewable sources. Our timber is sustainable, carbon sequestering and natural – it is actually ‘better than carbon neutral’ due to carbon stored during photosynthesis! Further, it is extremely strong, relatively lightweight and looks great!
Not only is timber the only truly renewable building material, all our timbers come from 100% regrown plantation forests that have been independently certified to strict Australian and international standards (learn more below).
- All our timber comes from certified 100% regrown plantation forests
- Just like the Quokka, our popular Jarrah wood is only found in one place in the world: the south-west of Western Australia!
- We source our high-quality Pine from New Zealand and Oak from Victoria, Australia
We are also proud to share that all our timber suppliers adhere to the following wildly recognised certifications:
We’ve been using the same brackets for over 20 years with absolutely no issues – these things are the tried and tested winner for complete strength and ease-of-use. Click here to view our 17-second video of how to construct your bed.
- World-respected strength and durability from Häfele, and extremely easy to use
- ISO certified manufacturer for both Quality and Environmental Systems Management
QUALITY FOR LESS: 15% OFF BED BASES AND MATTRESSES! NO CODE REQUIRED.
Backed by over 30 years' of experience
Quokka Beds are the official, exclusive online stockist for Brett’s Beds + Futons, who’ve been producing and selling bedroom furniture right here in Australia for over 30 years with extremely positive feedback. Many of Brett’s customers come back 10, 20 years later just to say their mattress feels as good as new. Quokka Beds brings true, hands-on experience right to your doorstep. Read more below…
Overall rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars from 67 independent reviews:
Beautifully made, simple, elegant bed base and bedhead. Very happy! We purchased the king size Oak bed base and love it! Beautifully constructed with user in mind and so simple to put together. Was delivered to Queensland from Perth, and the extra humidity caused a little tightness with a couple of slats and joins, but nothing some talcum powder couldn't fix. Happy with delivery process and communications. Thanks Daniel! The base quality also complies with Sleeping Duck's stringent mattress warranty requirements and together the combination is perfect for us. Highly recommended!
Beautiful bed frame The bed was very simple and easy to put together. It is beautifully made and constructed and feels very calming in our bedroom. The bed occasionally creaks but as we have floorboards, and no rug under the bed at this stage, it doesn't worry us at all.
Love this bed base! Excellent quality and craftsmanship! Quick and simple to order, prompt delivery, extremely easy to assemble and very affordable.
We love our new bed base!
Could not recommend more highly!
We will definitely be buying another Quokka bed base for our spare room.
If you’re wanting to keep your product for 10, 20 or 30 years, trust the business that’s been around for longer!