Finally, a solid Australian-made timber bed base that’s stylish, modern and super easy to assemble. Plus, it will never break or even squeak – guaranteed!
Free delivery to most areas!
Current lead time: 5 to 8 weeks + 1 week delivery.
Pickups get $100 off at checkout (from Malaga, WA).
- 100% manufactured in Perth, Australia.
- All pieces are 100% solid timber from Australian certified sustainable forests
- Jarrah from WA and Tasmanian Oak from VIC
- Slats & Inner Support System: Plantation Pine from WA
- Connecting brackets made in Germany
- Sideview diagrams do not show the centre beam.
- Custom adjustments cannot be made.
- *Note: Sideview Diagram not updated.
- Slats are now 8.5cm and have a gap of 3.5cm for added strength. This does not implicate ventilation in any way.
- Front and side beams are now 8cm.
- Headboard struts no longer have a curved angle.
- *Note: As we use 100% sustainable timber, all pieces have unique knots & grains when they’re sourced. We try our best to colour-match without promoting any wastage.
- Floating Timber Bed Base with Headboard: Please note on some occasions the Headboard Struts are made with the first available timber, and can be different from the main bed frame. These Struts are hidden behind the mattress.
- Free to most major metro areas: click here to check your postcode.
- Covered for life against any break or squeak.
- Any issues, we will send a replacement base or part for free.
- Please do not submerge in water or alter the base in any way.
- Click here for our PDF Assembly Instructions for Timber Bed Base & Care
- There is nothing you need to do: we use a water-resistant, natural vegetable oil finish designed to protect the timber. Can be cleaned with a damp cloth and mild soap if required.
- Avoid exposing the timber outdoors in the heat for extended periods of time.
Locally-Made from Australian, Sustainable Timber
Don’t settle for less. We’ve been manufacturing beds in Perth for over 30 years, and you can hear from some of our extremely happy customers below. All parts made from solid Australian timber.
- Finished with a food-safe Wood Wax from Osmo Oils
- Maintains the natural timber look while providing full protection
Choosing the perfect wooden bed frame
We use real Australian hardwood timber in all our beds, complete with solid plantation Pine slat support system from WA. Naturally termite and water-resistant, our bases are conservatively rated at 600kg and backed by a lifetime guarantee against any break or even squeak. All timber comes from certified plantations that pass strict sustainability and eco-friendly regulations (read more below).
*Please note: As we use 100% sustainable solid timber, all pieces have unique knots & grains. These grains do not impact strength and durability, but adds character and can’t be compared to engineered wood (which usually has a consistent finish). We also cannot guarantee all timber on the bed to be colour-matched, although we try our best without severely increasing wastage.
Frequently Asked Questions
We don’t hide behind technical lingo – we simply use the highest-quality, most-trusted natural materials available on the worldwide market today. Beyond our many eco-accreditations, importantly, all our main materials are 100% sustainably-sourced – meaning there are no lasting effects on the environment.
See below for our most commonly asked questions about our range!
When we choose sustainably and responsibly harvested timber over other materials, we reduce our dependence on fossil fuels and their consequent carbon emissions. Aluminium, steel, concrete and plastic are not produced from renewable sources. Our timber is sustainable, carbon sequestering and natural – it is actually ‘better than carbon neutral’ due to carbon stored during photosynthesis! Further, it is extremely strong, relatively lightweight and looks great!
Not only is timber the only truly renewable building material, all our timbers come from 100% regrown plantation forests that have been independently certified to strict Australian and international standards.
- All our timber comes from certified 100% regrown plantation forests
- Just like the Quokka, our popular Jarrah wood is only found in one place in the world: the south-west of Western Australia!
- Our Tasmanian Oak is from Victoria
- Our slats and inner support system are made from solid plantation Pine from WA
We are also proud to share that all our timber suppliers adhere to the following wildly recognised certifications:
Yes! In fact, just one person is able to set up our Timber Bed Bases in 5-10 minutes!
We’ve designed our beds for a complete ease of assembly, with clip-in brackets that slide into place without the need for any tools.
Check out our Assembly Video above for a detailed look!
Click here for our Assembly Instructions
Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC’s) are carbon-based chemicals that easily become vapours or gases.
Our Timber Bed Bases are solid wood, not plywood or MDF based. This means that any pure wood itself naturally emits a very low level of VOC’s into the atmosphere, and is not considered severely toxic. Our Hardwax wood oil (Osmo) also has low-VOC content.
We are confident that our Timber Bed Bases will not significantly impact what’s called, ‘Offgassing’ as solid wood naturally emit this as you breathe.
We are determined to maximise our eco-friendly practices wherever possible.
*More information can be found here
We’ve been using the same German brackets for over 20 years with absolutely no issues – they are the tried and tested winner for complete strength and ease-of-use.
Click here to view our 17-second video of how to construct your bed.
- World-respected strength and durability from Häfele, and extremely easy to use
- ISO certified manufacturer for both Quality and Environmental Systems Management
- More info can be found: https://www.hafele.com.au/en/product/bed-connector-tommo-bed-fitting/000000c1000155c600010023/
All of our Timber products are finished with a food-safe natural vegetable oil Wood Wax from Osmo, because they’re 100% plant based and food safe, and contains no silicon. This product is a great choice for maintaining furniture in a safe, natural way, that protects and maintains the wood against harmful factors.
As we use 100% sustainable timber, all pieces have unique knots & grains when they’re sourced. We try our best to colour-match without promoting any wastage. These grains do not impact strength and durability, but adds character and can’t be compared to engineered wood!
Yes! If you’d like to request to leave the timber raw + unfinished, just let us know in the order notes section at checkout. We will sand down the timber, but not add the Wood Wax (as standard).
*Note: Leaving the timber unfinished can cause the timber to wear down from environmental factors more easily over time. Please use a basic wood wax or Orange Oil (found at Bunnings) at least every 18 months to 2 years to prolong the life of the wood.
Our Timber Bed Bases in the Standard or Floating design have the following weight dimensions, as compacted in the two packages.
- Our timber is surprisingly light, and easy to manoeuvre
- With packaging, both boxes can vary up to 20-30kg
*Note: The Floating Design have the same internal + external dimensions, but the legs are hidden beneath the frame. This does not impact any weight-bearing capacity and is just as sturdy.
Yes! All our timber bed bases are designed to support the weight and durability of any mattress. We use solid timber pine slats that is known for its extremely strong support.
The construction and material take a great force to bend, and with our timber slats designed wide enough and spaced out narrowly, as well as having a central beam and grounded support, this provides sufficient stability for any mattress.
We’ve designed our beds to sit flush with the edge of the bed base structure, making it not only easier for changing bed sheets, but stylish and practical.
Yes, you can! If you choose to purchase a separate Timber Headboard from us in the future, we charge the price of the headboard, plus $50 for packaging + postage. Simply contact us and we can arrange delivery (Australia-wide!) or pick-up from our Perth warehouse.
If you purchase a Base Only, let us know if you’d like to consider adding a Headboard later, and we will attach the HB Brackets to the back of your Base during manufacturing to make the process easier to attach later! Alternatively, we will replace the entire back beam.
Original Timber Bed Base
- Single: $320 + $50
- Long Single: $340 + $50
- King Single: $335 + $50
- Double: $355 + $50
- Long Double: $355 + $50
- Queen: $360 + $50
- King: $455 + $50
- Super King: $520 + $50
Floating Timber Bed Base
- Single: $320 + $50
- Long Single: $335 + $50
- King Single: $340 + $50
- Double: $355 + $50
- Long Double: $360 + $50
- Queen: $360 + $50
- King: $450 + $50
- Super King: $520 + $50
Unfortunately, we do not make any custom changes to our Timber Bed Base range. This includes changing the height of the legs, HB height/design or overall increasing the height of the base.
This is because our range is hand-made and designed to prevent against any creaking.
We do consider any suggestions or small changes. If you’re unsure of something, feel free to get in touch with us and we’ll answer any questions you may have.
Backed by over 30 years' of experience
Quokka Beds has been manufacturing bedroom furniture in Perth, Australia for over 30 years with extremely positive feedback. Formerly called Brett’s Beds + Futons, many of Brett’s customers have come back 10 and 20 years later just to say their mattress feels as good as new, and their base is still looking great. Quokka Beds brings true, hands-on experience right to your doorstep. Read more below…
Overall rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars from 161 independent reviews:
Great quality bed, very happy Great quality attractive bed, feels like it is going to last a lifetime. Much better than our previous cheapie made in China bed which broke after 4 months! Definitely worth spending a bit more money on. We are very happy with our purchase.
Love this bed base! Excellent quality and craftsmanship! Quick and simple to order, prompt delivery, extremely easy to assemble and very affordable.
We love our new bed base!
Could not recommend more highly!
We will definitely be buying another Quokka bed base for our spare room.
Beautiful bed frame The bed was very simple and easy to put together. It is beautifully made and constructed and feels very calming in our bedroom. The bed occasionally creaks but as we have floorboards, and no rug under the bed at this stage, it doesn't worry us at all.
If you’re wanting to keep your product for 10, 20 or 30 years, trust the business that’s been around for longer!