Frequently Asked Questions
As an Aussie business, we don’t hide behind technical lingo – we simply use the highest-quality, most-trusted natural materials available on the worldwide market today. Beyond our many eco-accreditations, importantly, all our main materials are 100% sustainably-sourced – meaning there are no lasting effects on the environment.
See below for our most commonly asked questions about our range!
Shipping, Delivery & Returns
All our products are dispatched from our Showroom/Factory in Wangara, Perth WA with free delivery to all Australian metro areas. We post orders followed by an emailed Tracking Link as soon as it leaves our warehouse.
- Timber Bed Base: Manufacturing process can vary in time-frame, please see the Bed Base section for updated info. We’ll send you an email notification as we reach the last stage of production, then dispatch 1-2 weeks after this. Delivery is usually 5-10 days to arrive to non-Perth orders.
- Latex Mattress / Pillow: Orders take 1-4 days to prepare for dispatch, with delivery taking 5-7 days to arrive to non-Perth orders.
- We cannot guarantee a date/time of delivery, we use a third-party courier and it is at their discretion how to manage deliveries Australia-wide.
- In some cases, not all boxes arrive in the same delivery. This is due to the delivery service provider. This delay is generally only for 1-2 days before all contents arrive.
- There is currently a nation-wide shortage of freight staff, making delivery management harder to track, if you have queries regarding your order please contact us or the nominated delivery company directly.
For those within major metro areas outside of Perth, we are now trialling premium “Timed” and “Saturday” delivery options:
- Standard (Free) – a tracked courier service with StarTrack or Border Express (Mon-Fri). We cannot guarantee a delivery date or give time estimates, although if you miss the first attempt, you can request redelivery on a specific date.
- Timed (+$100) – your order will first be sent to one of your local Pack & Send stores, who will then call you to arrange quick weekday delivery within an agreed time window (usually 3 hours or less).
- Saturday (+$100) – Border Express now offer a premium Saturday delivery service between 9am-5pm.
For those within 1 hour of Perth, our “Standard” service includes Timed or Saturday delivery at no extra charge.
Perth Delivery: For deliveries within 1 hour of Perth, we use a local delivery driver, who usually heads out on Saturday’s from 10.00am until early afternoon. An alternate day can be arranged.
Perth Pickup: You can opt to collect your order from our warehouse in Wangara for $100 off per base and mattress. Collection is simple and easy, we’ll notify you when it is 1-2 weeks away from being ready and again when it is all ready to go. From there, you can pick up during the following hours to ensure a staff member is available:
- Monday to Saturday: 10am to 4pm
Will it fit in my car?
Our Timber Bed Bases will fit in any car as long as the rear seats go down, with the longest part being 204cm. Our Latex Mattresses are individually rolled and wrapped in heavy-duty packaging for super easy and safe transportation. For reference, you could fit about 5 layers in a Hatchback car.
*Note: We generally do not put bed bases in boxes for pickup, as it would make it much harder to fit in your car and saves you having to dispose of the large boxes.
Delivery: Free to most metro areas, please check here:
We’re extremely confident in our products and returns are rare, but for your peace of mind we still offer the option of returning any of our products for a full refund – on the odd chance they don’t suit you. We know some other companies offer completely ‘free’ returns – but as a small family business with bulky, high quality products – our margins are lower and our shipping costs are higher.
But to show we’re still confident in our products – we only ask for the return delivery cost – and we will cover the original delivery charge, and the loss on the product (as we can only resell it heavily discounted as ‘used’, if at all). Depending on the shipping charges and whether we can reuse the materials, we may ask a local charity to pick it up instead – we’d hate to waste too many natural resources.
Upon return of the product, we will refund you in full minus the following maximum return delivery costs:
- Timber Bed Base: Capped at $150
- 2 Layer Mattress: Capped at $200
- 3 Layer Mattress: Capped at $250
For Australia-wide Delivery: Our Timber Bed Bases are easily compacted in two packages when posted out to you anywhere in Australia, one for the Base + optional Headboard (204cm long and 22-32kg), and one for the Pine Slats (60-80cm long and 20-24kg). These dimensions are based off of King and Queen sizes.
Latex Mattress layers are individually rolled and vacuum-sealed and sent in individual boxes depending on the number of Layers purchased.
For Perth Pickup: If you collect from our Wangara showroom, we hand you your Timber Bed Base as is, to avoid extra packaging and unnecessary plastic waste. Our bases can be placed in any size car as long as the rear seats go down, as the longest piece usually measures 204cm (all frame sizes except for Single & Double at 188cm).
Latex Mattresses are individually rolled but not vacuum-sealed, we hand you each layer in strong durable packaging. We can vacuum-seal upon request.
A latex mattress does not have any springs or coils in it. Unlike an innerspring mattress, a natural latex mattress is made out of one type of material: latex. This material is a natural product that comes from the sap of the rubber tree. This milky sap is eco-consciously processed into the mattress layers.
- It returns to its original shape almost immediately – compared to synthetic latex and standard foams, the unique material of latex means that once pressure is removed it remains its shape, giving you full body-contoured support the moment you move, without creating pain-points or letting you sink into your mattress. This means that latex can help alleviate aches and pains with the correct alignment support.
- Latex retains its shape for 20 years, where other foams will start to significantly lose softness and support after just a few months or years.
- Natural Latex is inherently resistant to moisture, mould, mildew, and dust mites and can mean a much healthier and allergy-free sleep. Further, contrary to what some believe, the particularly open-cell structure allowed by the quality of natural latex promotes great air-ventilation – the best defence against ‘sleeping-hot’ and ensuring your mattress does not retain heat from your body
Our latex is sourced from Vietnam and is certified by eco-INSTITUT (Germany) as 100% natural botanical latex with no added petroleum-based or synthetic latex, also meeting strict standards for pollutants and harmful emissions. This ensures there are no additives in our latex that could damage the quality, consistency or healthiness of your mattress. Our latex has also passed stringent durability tests, allowing us to offer a 20 year warranty. Further, our latex uses the ‘Dunlop’ method of production due to its lower environmental footprint and durability advantages over the ‘Talalay’ method.
- Quality tested by eco-INSTITUT® (Germany) for containing 100% natural latex rubber free of harmful pollutants and emissions
- Supplier (Vietnam): Lien’A
- Durability tested (scoring 100/100) for little resilience or firmness-loss after 30,000 load cycles of 140kg (TUV EN 1957-2012 tested in Netherlands)
- Additionally, our supplier uses bio-fuel for electricity and has an all-round clean production process (as certified by ISO 14001:2015).
See below for our Density (D) and Indentation Load Deflection (ILD) ratings for each layer. You may be able to compare these figures to other latex mattresses you have seen, in shops or online:
- Medium Dunlop Latex – D75 – ILD 18-25
- Firm Dunlop Latex – D85 – ILD 26-3
Our Organic Cotton Cover is sourced from Mumbai, India. With 400GSM of wadding, plus a breathable canvas base, it provides ultimate comfort while prolonging the life of your mattress. Our covers are included with every Latex Mattress purchase.
Our Organic Cotton Cover is certified by GOTS (Global Organic Textile Standard). This certification ensures all processes and materials are without the use of chemical fertilizers, pesticides, or other artificial chemicals – plus also meeting fair work conditions, recycling and more. We source them from suppliers who use certified manufacturing processes to reduce their carbon footprint, just like us. This certificate can be viewed further above this page.
In short, yes!
Our pure Latex mattress layers are designed to be supportive, durable and comfortable – making them slightly more heavy-duty than other mattresses. But, we offer our mattresses in a simple 2 or 3 layer system, so you can add your layers one by one (making this much easier to manage, than one full spring mattress!).
When you receive your Latex Mattress layers, they arrive in a vacuum-sealed package which is easily transportable. Lay out your Organic Cotton Mattress Cover first, then you can open, and lay out each layer to suit your desired firmness – the final step is to zip them up!
- Click here to view our Latex Mattress Assembly Instructions + Care
- For 2-layer mattresses, unless you know you want a firmer mattress, the majority of customers would suit a Medium (2 layers of Medium). Due to the quality of our natural latex, this provides a great balance of a soft feel but generous support (with 15cm of latex!). However, if you know you like firm, go with a Medium-Firm – and you then also have the option to flip the layers it if it still not firm enough. In particular, back or front-sleepers and heavier people may suit a firmer mattress.
* Note: You can request Firm/Firm, but we strongly recommend trying in-store first.
- For 3-layer mattresses, the options can go softer, while still providing full support. This allows for even greater ‘give’ in the mattress for a more-luxurious feel with more support (22.5cm of pure latex) than it’s 2-layer equivalent. This is especially true in softer mattresses, where the extra layer allows for a more gradual and supportive change from firm at the bottom to the softer comfort layers at the top.
* Note: We don’t recommend 3 layers of Firm.
- However… Comparing standard foam or spring mattresses to the feel of latex is difficult. Your old mattress may have developed a ‘sinking-in’ feeling compared to the quality and bounce of latex – so some may find it feels a little too firm to begin with. We recommend allowing for the settling in period of around 10 days to get used to. This is why we also offer a 100-Night Comfort Guarantee just in case you need to adjust your firmness!
- If you like firmer mattresses, generally sleep without pain, or on a tighter budget; go for a 2-layer.
- If you like softer mattresses, have some back or hip pain, or prefer a plusher, ‘luxury-feel’; go for a 3-layer
About our 100-Night Comfort Guarantee
The layers are not glued together meaning you can unzip the cover and rearrange the layers. However, keep in mind you can only make your mattress firmer, but not softer – we recommend choosing a slightly softer mattress if you’re not sure. Give each configuration a go for at least 10 nights, then within 100 Nights you can swap any Medium or Firm layer with us, or return if it’s not perfect.
All natural/organic latex comes with an odour of some strength, but ours is very low and dissipates over time – generally a week or 2 and it would almost be gone. Most people don’t notice it at all. Our odour is graded at 2.5 out of 6, which is between these 2 grades:
- 2 perceptible, not bothering
- 3 clearly perceptible, not bothering
All mattresses face the potential of heat entrapment which can potentially lead to mould, especially if you are located in a humid and/or wet climate. Latex requires sufficient aeration in the bed base it’s on.
Our Latex Mattress has been designed with air-ventilation holes in each individual layer to prevent against heat being trapped, but the bed base support system it’s on is also very important in releasing any trapped air. Read below the specifications of the bed base we recommend for effective air ventilation:
- A slatted timber bed base (like ours) – any solid base is not recommended.
- All slats must be approximately 5-9cm in width.
- Slat gaps between 3-5cm.
- Anything out of these ranges must be approved by our team, please get in touch – we’re happy to help!
- Some clearance beneath your frame to allow air to escape.
Please see our Bed Base page for more info about how we design our bases, as our design is best suited.
Short answer: No!
Other mattress materials, such as cotton and foam blends, can sometimes trap heat because it lacks proper air ventilation so it can feel hotter for some people sleeping at night.
Because Latex is quite durable, some synthetic latex mattresses will trap heat (because many are made with some composite layers). The good news is, with our 100% Natural Latex, they’re designed with air ventilation holes in every layer – this allows for body temperature regulating, and helps to prevent heat being trapped within the mattress while you sleep.
The open-cell structure allows Natural Latex to dissipate heat build-up during the night, away from the sleeping surface.
When it comes to mattresses, density = durability (and quality). While most “mattresses in a box” use foam with a density of between 15-20kg/m3 (which is lucky to last a couple of years) – our latex ranges from 75 to 85kg/m3!
Below is each individual layer:
- Queen Medium: 17.5-19kg (153 x 204cm)
- Queen Firm: 20-21.5kg (153 x 204cm)
- King Medium: 21-22.5kg (183 x 204cm)
- King Firm: 23.5-25kg (183 x 204cm)
This weight includes the 1.5kg Organic Cotton Mattress Cover, included with all mattress orders.
- 2-Layer System = 15cm of 100% Latex
- 3-Layer System = 22.5cm of 100% Latex
At the moment, yes. We can only source our Natural Latex Mattresses in these two sizes at this current time, due to supplier unavailability.
We’re working hard to try and introduce a range of new sizes. It’s still a little while away, but if you’d like to be kept in the loop and whether we proceed, please email us at [email protected] and you’ll be on our list to be notified first!
Timber Bed Base
When we choose sustainably and responsibly harvested timber over other materials, we reduce our dependence on fossil fuels and their consequent carbon emissions. Aluminium, steel, concrete and plastic are not produced from renewable sources. Our timber is sustainable, carbon sequestering and natural – it is actually ‘better than carbon neutral’ due to carbon stored during photosynthesis! Further, it is extremely strong, relatively lightweight and looks great!
Not only is timber the only truly renewable building material, all our timbers come from 100% regrown plantation forests that have been independently certified to strict Australian and international standards.
- All our timber comes from certified 100% regrown plantation forests
- Just like the Quokka, our popular Jarrah wood is only found in one place in the world: the south-west of Western Australia!
- Our Tasmanian Oak is from Victoria
- Our slats and inner support system are made from solid plantation Pine from WA
We are also proud to share that all our timber suppliers adhere to the following wildly recognised certifications:
Yes! In fact, just one person is able to set up our Timber Bed Bases in 5-10 minutes!
We’ve designed our beds for a complete ease of assembly, with clip-in brackets that slide into place without the need for any tools.
Check out our Assembly Video above for a detailed look!
Click here for our Assembly Instructions
Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC’s) are carbon-based chemicals that easily become vapours or gases.
Our Timber Bed Bases are solid wood, not plywood or MDF based. This means that any pure wood itself naturally emits a very low level of VOC’s into the atmosphere, and is not considered severely toxic. Our Hardwax wood oil (Osmo) also has low-VOC content.
We are confident that our Timber Bed Bases will not significantly impact what’s called, ‘Offgassing’ as solid wood naturally emit this as you breathe.
We are determined to maximise our eco-friendly practices wherever possible.
*More information can be found here
We’ve been using the same German brackets for over 20 years with absolutely no issues – they are the tried and tested winner for complete strength and ease-of-use.
Click here to view our 17-second video of how to construct your bed.
- World-respected strength and durability from Häfele, and extremely easy to use
- ISO certified manufacturer for both Quality and Environmental Systems Management
- More info can be found: https://www.hafele.com.au/en/product/bed-connector-tommo-bed-fitting/000000c1000155c600010023/
All of our Timber products are finished with a food-safe natural vegetable oil Wood Wax from Osmo, because they’re 100% plant based and food safe, and contains no silicon. This product is a great choice for maintaining furniture in a safe, natural way, that protects and maintains the wood against harmful factors.
As we use 100% sustainable timber, all pieces have unique knots & grains when they’re sourced. We try our best to colour-match without promoting any wastage. These grains do not impact strength and durability, but adds character and can’t be compared to engineered wood!
Unfortunately, we avoid sending any samples of our Jarrah or Tasmanian Oak, as all of our timber varies in colour, tone and general appearance in between batches – even if it was sourced from the same tree. There is a highly likely chance that the sample we send will not match the base if you do choose to purchase one.
If you have concerns about the colour of the timber, we are able to keep an eye out during production if you require a specific colour, however keep in mind that we source our Australian hardwood timber from certified plantations and as such we utilise every timber supplied and rarely discard, only if it poses a clear stability issue. Natural, ethically-sourced timber will always vary and we don’t aim for ‘perfect’, only natural! The only perfect timber frames you’ll see on the market are MDF-based and mostly artificial.
Yes! If you’d like to request to leave the timber raw + unfinished, just let us know in the order notes section at checkout. We will sand down the timber, but not add the Wood Wax (as standard).
*Note: Leaving the timber unfinished can cause the timber to wear down from environmental factors more easily over time. Please use a basic wood wax or Orange Oil (found at Bunnings) at least every 18 months to 2 years to prolong the life of the wood.
Our Timber Bed Bases in the Standard or Floating design have the following weight dimensions, as compacted in the two packages.
- Our timber is surprisingly light, and easy to manoeuvre
- With packaging, both boxes can vary up to 20-30kg
*Note: The Floating Design have the same internal + external dimensions, but the legs are hidden beneath the frame. This does not impact any weight-bearing capacity and is just as sturdy.
Yes! All our timber bed bases are designed to support the weight and durability of any mattress. We use solid timber pine slats that is known for its extremely strong support.
The construction and material take a great force to bend, and with our timber slats designed wide enough and spaced out narrowly, as well as having a central beam and grounded support, this provides sufficient stability for any mattress.
We’ve designed our beds to sit flush with the edge of the bed base structure, making it not only easier for changing bed sheets, but stylish and practical.
Yes, you can! We can send you 2x Struts and Headboard to attach to your existing base.
We charge the price of the headboard, plus $50 for packaging + postage. Simply contact us and we can arrange delivery (Australia-wide!) or pick-up from our Perth warehouse. You’ll need brackets at the back of your base, so we’ll have to replace your back beam too If you don’t already have brackets there!).
If you purchase a Base Only now, you can selected ‘Add Headboard Brackets’ at Checkout for $20 extra.
- Hidden Crossbeam beneath the frame rather than two end legs.
- 30mm side rail thickness.
- No Crossbeam.
- 20mm side rail thickness.
- Same number of Centrebeams as per frame size.
- Same frame height (28cm).
- Same Headboard dimensions.
- Same Slat number and dimensions.
Both the Original and the Floating designs sport excellent durability and structural support. We use thick, solid timber, made to last a lifetime and for all kinds of mattresses – it can even have a weight capacity of 600kg.
Because it is so strong, using pure timber also requires certain manufacturing techniques to ensure it performs properly. When two pieces of timber rub against one another, the friction creates creaks and squeaks. This means that we have designed our frames with very slight gaps between beams – they are unnoticeable and do not impact any structural support.
As mentioned above, its important that timber has sufficient distance between pieces. This means our Headboards will have a fair amount of movement to them. This is completely normal, and never noticeable unless physically shaken back and forth by hand.
Unfortunately, we do not make any custom changes to our Timber Bed Base range. This includes changing the height of the legs, HB design or overall increasing the height of the base.
This is because our range is hand-made and designed to prevent against any creaking.
We do consider any suggestions or small changes including HB height. If you’re unsure of something, feel free to get in touch with us and we’ll answer any questions you may have.
Our Simple Promises
We offer huge warranties on all our products as we only sell quality, durable products that are not going to degrade over time. And since we’ve been doing this over 30 years, we’re extremely confident in offering these unmatched quality guarantees.
Our Latex Contour Pillow is guaranteed to outlast any regular pillow – with a 10-Year warranty against ANY 20mm sag or indentation that is not a result of improper use.
We will replace or repair your mattress or a layer within it if there is more than a 20mm visible indentation or ‘sag’, or there is any another manufacturing defect that is not a result of improper use. Covers normal domestic use only.
Bed Base Requirements – Due to having no firm polyurethane foam or spring coils, a 100% latex mattress must have a firm, flat, aerated base supporting it (like ours). We require at least 1 grounded central support beam for Queens (2 for Kings), while any slats must be spaced 5cm apart or less.
Yep that’s right. We’ve been doing this for so long and with so few issues, we’re prepared to offer a lifetime guarantee against any break, creak or squeak in your bed base.
We’ll replace ANY part of your bed at ANY time for FREE!
100-Night Return Guarantee
To show our confidence in our products we are happy to offer a full refund upon return of the product at the customers expense, giving you a full 100 sleeps to test it out.
We price our products very fairly to their very high quality, and therefore cannot offer to cover the return postage, as there have been many cases of customers buying products with the aim of returning them within the guarantee period. We will work with you however in helping to organise the pick up and return of your product.
We’re always here to help, so message us on Facebook if you’ve got any queries.
First, we would encourage you to spend at least 10 days on your mattress to allow your body to adjust to the natural latex.
If you are still not happy and your mattress allows for it, we find many firmness issues can be solved instantly at home by rearranging the layers. If you’ve exhausted all your options, we can replace an entire layer.
If however, you are still not happy with your mattress, you have up until 100 days for a full return and refund, to give you time to fully trial the mattress in your own home.
*Note: Return postage fee at customer expense.
The same goes for our Latex Pillow – trial for at least 10 nights to adjust to the feel of natural latex, while also adjusting its height to your preference.
Remember, if you’re switching from an old, basic cotton pillow, you must allow this time for your body to adjust! Latex is a far superior, durable material that’s going to last you many years.
However, if you still aren’t happy after the minimum 10 Nights, the 100-Night full refund guarantee still applies.
For peace of mind, we also offer a 100-Night Full Refund guarantee on our bed base if you happen to not like it or change your mind.
Existing Brett's Bed
Working here in Perth as Brett’s Beds & Futons, we sold thousands of beloved timber bed frames. We’re still the same people, just a fresh new look. Our existing customers still hold onto their bases 10, 20 to even 30 years later! To coincide with our current Timber Bed Base Warranties, we’ll still fix any break.
Please email us to discuss, and obtain a copy of our Terms & Conditions.
Unfortunately, no. When we switched to Quokka Beds in 2019 we completely updated our range to a more minimalist, simplistic look with various changes to the structure and manufacturing of the bases based on customer feedback, including more sustainable timber and general ease of assembly.
We now have different tools, resources and production techniques that no longer allows us to design the older frames.
Similar as above, with the change in our range we unfortunately don’t have the production capacity or resources to customise new or old bases.
We’re always open for suggestions though, simply get in touch with us and we’re happy to discuss!